Be a Part of the 20th Anniversary Tournament!
2020 US SUMO OPEN
Saturday, April 25, 2020
NEW DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON
Walter Pyramid @ Cal State Long Beach
2020 US Sumo Open — POSTPONED
On March 12, Long Beach State canceled upcoming events, including the US Sumo Open, due to health concerns. We intended to reschedule the 20th annual tournament in Summer, 2020.
However, the venue later indicated that social distancing restrictions will likely be enforced when the venue reopens in the fall. In such a case, the FLOOR LEVEL seats (Ringside and VIP Floor), which are assigned, would not work out. Sadly, for this reason, we plan to issue full refunds to all Floor Level ticket holders, very soon. It’s probable that this will be extended to all ticket holders soon, depending on additional information that we receive from the venue.
We still plan to hold the 20th US Sumo Open, but are waiting to confirm the date and venue. Thank you for your patience, and please stay tuned . . .
2020 US SUMO OPEN
A MUST-SEE sumo milestone . . SPECIAL EDITION of the longest-running and largest sumo tournament in the world, outside of Japan!
Celebrate 2 decades of US Sumo Opens with Japanese food & drinks, plus Japanese taiko drumming, while you see the best international sumo wrestlers in action.
Thank you to all fans for being a part of the US Sumo Open, since 2001. The 20th annual US Sumo Open promises to be the strongest competition yet with 80+ athletes from around the world, flying into Southern California!
Saturday, April 25, 2020 — POSTPONED
NEW DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON
Walter Pyramid @ California State University Long Beach
1250 N Bellflower Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90840
- Don’t miss the Main Event (5 pm – 8 pm), featuring top sumo talent, and the Openweight class competition where skill and strategy can overcome size!
- Prelim matches are 11 am – 2 pm, qualifiers for the Main Event. Ticket holders can attend all day, but 5 pm – 8 pm is a MUST-SEE.
- Sumo Byamba Tribute (1984 – 2020): Celebrate the life of this World Champion.
- Over 80 international sumo wrestlers competing, from around the world. Biggest Athlete Field Yet.
- Special Historical Videos on the Jumbotron — Feel 19 years of Action!
- Sumo Champions’ Archival Highlights — Top Stars since 2001 . .
- 20th Anniversary Ceremony.
* BLEACHERS are GA; no assigned seating.
* RINGSIDE and VIP FLOOR are assigned.
* Referee stands on the North side of the ring, but big screen (Jumbotron) is on the South side (behind all seats).
* No Pro-grade cameras allowed. Attendees may shoot video or photos for personal use only (not for posting or broadcast.) Thank you.
* CAL STATE LONG BEACH – CLEAR BAG POLICY.
* Children 5 and under are free when sitting on a parent’s lap. No lap-sitting in the Ringside section.
* For GROUP sales discounts (20 or more people), please contact us.
* CSULB STUDENT SPECIAL: $10. Call or text the LBSU Box Office at 562-985-4949 with questions.
Among 80 athletes, here are some of the big names to watch!
5’7″, 220 lbs
The 5-time Japanese National University Champion, Takeshi has competed for 4 years at the US Sumo Open, winning gold twice — in both Middleweight and Openweight. An under-sized giant killer!
6’5″, 380 lbs
The most dominant American heavyweight in recent memory, with a bronze medal at the Sumo World Championships, Roy has also won 2 gold medals at the US Sumo Open, and many more podium appearances.
6’4″, 495 lbs
Competed for 12 years in Pro Sumo, reaching sekitori status, and also medaled in the 2019 US Sumo Open, but is looking for gold this time!
6’3″, 501 lbs
A perennial US Sumo Open contender, he’s won medals for all 5 years that he’s competed, including a gold medal in 2015. He’s also the heaviest athlete in the competition!
5’10”, 188 lbs
This 2-time World Sumo Champion has won gold medals every time he competed at the US Sumo Open, and even placed #2 in the world in Openweight (at World Games)!
6’0″, 230 lbs
This multi-time US Sumo Open Champion is also the current European Sumo Champion and World Sumo Champion! He defeats opponents of any size.
Please contact us for Athlete Registration Information.
5325 East Pacific Coast Highway, Long Beach, CA 90804
Included: free breakfast, heated pool, free internet, free parking, and free shuttle service (5 minutes to the Pyramid!). Booking deadline is March 26, 2020. Get the DISCOUNTED US Sumo Open rate.
US SUMO OPEN BACKGROUND
As the largest and longest-running, annual sumo competition worldwide, outside of Japan, the US Sumo Open has been the first to bring Pro Sumo Grand Champions as special guests, the first to pioneer women’s matches in American tournaments, the first to feature multiple World Sumo Champions in a single event, and the first to include former top-ranked Pro Sumo wrestlers in competition!
Since 2001, the annual US Sumo Open has been a hallmark event, setting milestones in international sumo’s growth, including multiple national TV broadcasts on Universal Sports Network. We’re proud to be pioneers in developing this ancient martial art in the United States.
The competition level is also spectacular, with over 700 international athletes who have wrestled. Most of these competitors have been National or World Sumo Champions — from 40 different countries. This is the only sumo event in North America where you can catch this caliber of international sumo, every year.